Monday, May 5, 2008

Keys, Memory, and the Student/Teacher Relationship

Memory
Pendekar Herman Suwanda was tragically killed in an automobile incident on March 21st, 2000. I mention this not just because it is the eighth anniversary of what the Sufis call his Wedding with the Divine. I say this as a reminder to myself; it has been eight years since his passing and it was three years before that since we had spoken in person. Eleven years since we have spoken and yet I find that I have to remind myself on a regular basis, not just once a year on the anniversary or on his birthday, that he is no longer in this world. I attribute the reason for this to the fact that his teaching, his life, and his laughter are very much still alive for me.

Rarely a class happens that I do not give some bit of anecdotal knowledge prefaced with, "My teacher said...". Unless I am specific there is the chance I could be referring to my father Budd Saunders or my Beloved Shaykh Taner Ansari. But more often than not I am quoting Pak Herman. It is not just the mis-function of an overfull memory bank or the slow slide toward decrepitude that brings me such a feeling of closeness with my teacher. Nor is it some esoteric communication with his consciousness, although I am not one to discount such possibilities as I have experienced many stranger things. It is the keys, kunci in Bahasa Indonesia, that lie at the core of the Pencak Silat teaching methodology. Class time is spent learning a movement, let us say for example the outside parry kelid. Pak Herman would lead us through numerous examples on the proper execution and application of this simple but important movement. He would admonish us to practice it on our own since he could only teach us once per week. Then he would leave us to our devices, trusting that our zeal would lead us to discover hidden meaning through repetitive practice. And sure enough it did. But the real secrets come out only in the giving, and therein lies the kicker.

The Kicker
There is this funny feeling that many people get while engaging in Silat practice. I have had it and it goes like this; the teacher shows the class a movement, say kelid for example. Once they seem to be getting it the teacher appoints one student to continue the lesson while he has a seat. The thought bubbles up unbidden and certainly disrespectful, "Why that lazy so-and-so. I'm paying him good money and he is taking a break!" What this pale piece of pig's ear does not realize is that the teacher gives out keys, but he does not unlock the door. This door may lead somewhere mundane or it may lead to lands exotic and unknown. Either way, the destination is only meaningful if the student opens the door and walks through himself. At which point he can take back his ill thoughts and realize how brilliant his teacher and the material he is teaching really is.

Student/Teacher Relationships
What made Pak Herman such an exceptional teacher is that he was an exceptional student. He knew how to ask other teachers for keys; from Pak Uyuh, Ibu Mimi, Pak Suherman or the dozens of others he studied with he was always looking for the keys. And he knew how to train until a movement made sense and then he would teach it until he found the key.
So I was lucky enough to train with someone who had a janitor-sized keyring that he willingly shared with hundreds of lucky students. I know I only ended up with a few of them, but I cherish them dearly and am always looking for more. On any given class day I might sit down to watch a student lead an exercise and maybe, just maybe they turn to me with an expression of understanding written on their face to which I will say in my best Pak Herman imitation, "Hey, Dude. You make that look easy!"

It is the discovering and sharing of these keys that keeps Pak Herman so alive and fresh in my memory. The sting of his Cimande training is still with me, but it is his laughter that is still fresh in my heart. If you are one of my brothers and sisters lucky enough to have trained with him then I think you know of what I speak. If you were not, then we are lucky that Maha Guru Rita, Pak Dadang, Pak Bambang and Ibu Ikeu all have lots of keys to share also. I hope you get the chance to train with them.
peace,
Guru Rennie

1 comment:

Loren said...

It's nice to have something to read. Maintain that connection. Rabitah, right? Man it's been so long since I've been in class I'm even losing those key Indonesian phrases. And their being mixed in with my pidgin Thai. Miss you, and everyone else.